Despite its compact size and light weight, the α6400 delivers speedy performance and a range of features you'd expect from a full-frame model. Whether you're taking still shots or movies, creative compositions or everyday selfie shots, you'll enjoy beautiful images that you'll want to share, on the go.
Innovation in Service to Your Creativity
Unleash your creative potential with high-level performance and advanced features such as AI-powered Real-time Eye AF; new, high-precision Real-time Tracking; high-speed continuous shooting and 4K HDR (HLG) movie-shooting.
Reliable AF for Great Action Shots
The camera's innovative AF quickly and reliably detects the position of the subject and then tracks the subject's motion, keeping it in sharp focus.
425 Phase-Detection AF points
Densely distributed focus points blanket around 84% of the image area, aiding subject capture.
Fast Continuous Shooting up to 11fps
Never miss a moment of the action thanks to fast internal processing and a high-capacity buffer memory. Fire off shots at up to 11fps with after-view or 8fps for live-view, with minimal display lag, and take up to around 116 shots in JPEG (Standard) or 46 shots in compressed RAW format in one continuous burst.
Silent Continuous Shooting up to 8fps
When your shoot calls for absolute quiet, such as when you're photographing a live performance, silent shooting with no shutter noise allows shooting at up to 8fps with AF/AE tracking, even in AF-C mode, with Real-time Eye AF or with Real-time Tracking, expanding your range of shooting options.
Newly adopted AI-based subject recognition technology processes a vast amount of data to detect and track even rapidly moving subjects.
Real-time Tracking Reliably Maintains Focus
For sporting events and other situations where your subjects are moving quickly, keeping them in constant focus can make all the difference between catching an important, dramatic moment or missing it.
Enjoy Beautiful, Remarkably Detailed Images
Thanks to the large sensor and the latest image-processing engine, you can shoot whatever you encounter in your everyday life, with beautifully crisp and clear images and natural colors, even in low-light settings.
A 24.2 Megapixel Sensor Plus Enhanced Image Processing Engine
The APS-C sensor features copper wiring and enhanced circuit processing that aid in boosting light collection efficiency. In conjunction with the image processing engine, this helps achieve superior image resolution and more natural depiction of textures.
Cleaner Images Even in Dim Light
Improved noise suppression has led to cleaner image quality, even in dark scenes where high-sensitivity shooting is required. The native ISO sensitivity has increased to a maximum ISO 32000 (with expanded ISO sensitivity at a maximum ISO 102400 for stills). Noise reduction is particularly effective in the frequently used medium-to-high sensitivity range.
Natural-looking Images That Match What You See
Image-processing algorithms inherited from full-frame cameras have led the way to more lifelike color reproduction. Human skin tones look more natural, and reproduction of plant colors has also been improved.
4K Movies and Pro-level Features
Creative Movie Production
From full-pixel readout without pixel binning enabling high-resolution 4K movie recording to HDR (HLG) and S-Log/S-Gamut options and Slow & Quick Motion recording, the α6400 is loaded with advanced capabilities to support your movie-making creativity.
- High-resolution 4K recording - Super 35 mm format recording with 2.4x oversampling results in 4K movies (QFHD: 3840 x 2160) with extraordinary image quality.
- Fast Hybrid AF for movies - Smooth, steady focus is in your control with high-performance AF tracking.
- S-Log and HLG - The camera provides a variety of options for picture profiles, including S-Log and HDR (HLG)
- Create time-lapse movies - Newly introduced interval shooting, which is continuous shooting with a pause of 1-60 seconds between still shots, can be carried out within the camera. This can then be used to create time-lapse movies on a PC using the Viewer app from the Imaging EdgeTM desktop applications.
Vlog with Useful Features
If you're shooting vlogs, the 180-degree tiltable LCD monitor is useful for framing your own shots. For sound recording, in addition to the external microphone jack there is also an optional XLR adapter (available separately) to facilitate the use of pro-level microphones to give you better audio quality.
Take Advantage of Various Movie Functions
Movies in slow motion (up to 5x) and quick motion (up to 60x) can be recorded in the camera, without post-processing on a PC. Alternatively, 120fps high-speed shooting of Full HD video can be used to create high-quality slow-motion footage in post-production. Proxy movie recording allows easier editing and previewing, and Photo Capture lets you extract stills from recorded movies.
A High-resolution LCD Monitor with Handy Touch-screen Functions
The 3.0-type, 180-degree tiltable LCD screen does more than just display the scene in front of you – it gives you quick control over a number of the camera's functions, with a variety of intuitive touch operations.
Set up Your Camera Just the Way You Like
An array of customization features, inherited from full-frame models, gives you greater flexibility and control over how your camera operates.
Imaging Edge Desktop Applications
Elevate your photography with the Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use “Remote” to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; “Viewer” to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and “Edit” to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.
Capture One for Sony
Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free award-winning editing software that provides RAW development, easy management and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.
Retractable Lens with Powered Zoom
The lens is compatible with APS-C-format mirrorless cameras. The built-in OSS (Optical SteadyShot) image stabilization system is an amazing feature that reduces the effect of camera shake.
- E PZ 16–50 mm F3.5–5.6 OSS - Great for travel, this lightweight, retractable mid-range zoom collapses down to just 1.18 in. It also features a power zoom for smooth, silent, effortless zooming.
- Powered zoom for effortless control - Shooting stills or video, a powered zoom gives you maximum creative control. For added convenience, operate it using a zoom rocker on selected NEX cameras.
- Capture smooth, blur-free images - Built-in Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization within the lens provides smooth, blur-free photos and videos when shooting handheld.
- Smooth defocusing - Instead of a standard polygon-shaped lens aperture, this lens features a 7-blade circular aperture for more natural, rounded defocusing, or bokeh.
- Refined optical performance - Aspherical lens elements minimize distortion while ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements provide superior contrast, resolution, and color fidelity.