- Vibration Reduction: Achieves up to up to 6.0 stops of compensation
- Autofocus is powered by Nikon’s STM stepping motor
- Bokeh: The optical design is optimized for a smooth bokeh effect
- Outstanding balance, designed for on-the-go handheld shooting
The smallest, lightest 400mm prime in its class
Travel light and move fast. Comfortably shoot handheld with unwavering accuracy. Capture the sharpness and beautiful bokeh only a prime lens can deliver. The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S is the super-telephoto prime for those who use agility and speed to nail decisive views of birds, wildlife, sports and aircraft.
Super-telephoto prime for the traveler
Just over 9 inches long and 2.5 lbs., the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S pairs great with Z cameras and fits most gear bags and backpacks, so you can always have it on-hand.
400mm - Bring the action to you
400mm is an ideal lens for birds, wildlife and action. It provides the massive reach you need to get closer with enough field of view to easily acquire and track fast subjects. You can even focus on subjects as close as 2.5 meters away to reveal every little detail.
Prime image quality
- Sharpness - Super ED, ED and SR glass elements virtually eliminate chromatic aberration and color fringing.
- Clarity - Point-light sources are rendered sharp.
- Coverage - Outstanding resolution that extends all the way to the frame edges with minimal vignetting.
Bokeh beyond f/4.5
The optical design of the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S is optimized for a smooth bokeh effect that enhances the natural compression of 400mm.
S-Line - Premium optics
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S bears the S-Line designation, reserved for premium NIKKOR Z lenses with the most advanced optics, superior resolution, beautiful bokeh, robust weather sealing and precision design.
Up to 6.0 stops of VR
Extraordinary built-in optical VR achieves an effect of shooting up to 6.0 stops faster on a camera that supports Synchro VR and 5.5 stops faster on all other Z cameras. Drag the shutter with confidence for smooth panning shots.
Quick. Quiet. Accurate.
Autofocus is powered by Nikon's STM stepping motor, a highly efficient type of motor that moves in precise intervals at remarkable speed and in near silence, ideal for video and capturing skittish wildlife.
Outstanding balance & handling
Designed for on-the-go handheld shooting, the lens' center of gravity is closer to the camera body. This makes it easier to bring the camera to your eye, acquire your subject and fluidly track it.
Pairs great with Z teleconverters
The lens becomes a 560mm f/6.3 lens with the Z Teleconverter TC-1.4x or an 800mm f/9 lens with the Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x.
Tight compositions with DX Crop Mode
Mimics the field of view of a 600mm lens for a closer framing of your subject.
Nothing holding you back
- Advanced weather sealing - Rubber gaskets keep dust, dirt and moisture out of moving parts, including the lens mount. The front element has Nikon’s nonstick Fluorine Coat, which repels oil, moisture and smudges and easily wipes clean.
- Nano Crystal Coat blocks flare - Shoot into harsh backlighting with virtually no internal reflections, glare or cross-lighting. Capture sharp, high contrast images at the most challenging times of day.
- Recall stored focus positions - Save a focus position with the Memory Set button. As your subject approaches the decisive moment, instantly snap back to that saved position using the Fn or Fn2 buttons.
|Nikon Z Mount
|Yes, up to 6 Stops
|Minimum Focus Distance
|8.21 ft (2.5m) from focal plane
|Maximum Magnification Ratio
|19 Elements in 13 Groups
|Angle of View
|Dimensions (Ø x L)
|4.1 x 9.2" / 104 x 234.5 mm
|2.7 lb / 1245 g