1080P at 120fps
The XF400 Professional Camcorder offers an outstanding combination of 4K UHD image quality, features and functionality in a compact portable design ideally suited for government, broadcast, education, corporate and event videography for cost-effective 4K UHD quality video.
Featuring a 1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS image sensor and dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors, the XF400 records in MP4 format to dual SD card slots. The camcorder is capable of recording 4K UHD video at 60p, as well as slow motion recording up to 120fps in Full HD. A 15x optical zoom lens maintains 4K UHD quality throughout the entire zoom range, while the camcorder's Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps facilitate fast and accurate autofocus.
The camcorder includes an HDMI 2.0 terminal with 4K UHD output support, two XLR terminals with independent audio level control. An adjustable 3.5-inch touch panel LCD monitor and a built-in 0.24-inch electronic viewfinder enhance usability, and the detachable handle helps the XF400 to operate in a variety of shooting situations. Designed to meet the needs of professionals, the XF400 offers a wide range of recording possibilities.
1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS Image Sensor
- The XF400 Professional Camcorder features a Canon 1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS image sensor capable of 4K UHD video capture at 60p and slow motion recording up to 120fps in Full HD, making the XF400 camcorder a strong contender for professional productions, creative fields and more.
- High Sensitivity / Low Noise - The XF400 camcorder's 1.0-inch sensor allows for larger photosites compared to smaller-sized sensors, resulting in improved images with less noise in low-light situations. The larger sensor also exhibits a shallower depth of field at large apertures, providing greater depth of field control and creative options. The camcorder's new DIGIC DV 6 imaging engine further enhances the high sensitivity and low noise performance of the camcorder.
15x Optical 4K UHD Zoom Lens with 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
The XF400 Professional Camcorder incorporates a Canon 4K video lens that leverages proprietary Canon optical technologies derived from years of experience in developing Cinema, Broadcast and EF series lenses. Inspired by the same high level of optical precision used in Canon broadcast and photographic lenses, the Canon XF400 camcorder incorporates a Genuine Canon 15x optical zoom lens that maintains 4K UHD quality throughout the entire zoom range, and offers a focal length range of 25.5 to 382.5mm (35mm film equivalent). Users can get up to 30x Advanced Zoom when shooting in Full HD, which utilizes the XF400 camcorder's full 4K UHD sensor to extend the zoom range while maintaining image quality.
5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization - The XF400 camcorder also incorporates a 5-axis Optical Image Stabilization (IS) system.
The camcorder features three modes of image stabilization: Standard, Dynamic and Powered. In Standard IS mode, the stabilizing angle is made constant independent of the zoom magnification. Dynamic IS mode extends the stabilizing range at the wide end of the focal length, allowing for image stabilization when shooting while walking. Powered IS mode helps facilitate stabilization in the low frequency range at the tele end, and should be used exclusively for fixed-point shooting which does not involve panning.
- ND Filter - A compact and independent internal 3-density ND filter, using a turret (circular) mechanism, allows the user to select from three densities (ND 1/4, ND 1/16 and ND 1/64) or turn the feature off if needed. Density can be adjusted using the dedicated external buttons.
- 9-blade Iris - For enhanced versatility and durability, the lens features a 9-blade iris, producing artistic and beautiful out-of-focus areas or "bokeh." The 9 blades allow for attractive circular blurring in out-of-focus regions, while the use of an odd number of blades helps reduce flaring of specular highlights.
Optional Wide and Tele Accessories - The optional Wide Attachment WA-U58 and the Tele Converter TL-U58 accessories expand the creative capabilities of the XF400 camcorder.
The Wide Attachment WA-U58 offers a 0.8x wider angle of view that enables users to capture more of a scene, especially when indoors or in tight spaces, to lend better perspective to your video narrative. The Tele Converter TL-U58 provides extended 1.5x longer telephoto range for the XF400 camcorder's fixed lens, allowing distant subjects to be captured with brilliant clarity.
Dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors
The XF400 Professional Camcorder incorporates Canon's dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors, which are integral in providing high image quality, advanced performance and convenient operability. This advanced core technology component provides the image-processing power and speed that enables features such as 4K UHD video acquisition, image stabilization, slow and fast motion recording and precise Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Canon's exclusively developed high-speed, high-precision autofocus technology. Dual Pixel CMOS AF assists not only with standard shooting, but also with 4K UHD 60p, Full HD 120p and other high-frame rate applications that require crisp frame-by-frame accuracy.
Each pixel in the camcorder's CMOS sensor is configured with two photodiodes. Two independent image signals can then be detected at each photosite. By implementing phase-difference AF, smooth focusing is accomplished with much higher speed and accuracy than was possible with previous technologies.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Touch Focus- The XF400 camcorder's 3.5-inch touch panel LCD enables smooth, intuitive operation of Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Accurate AF technology can be employed when shooting a scene by tapping a finger on the desired area of the scene you want the lens to focus on. Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers continuous AF within a horizontal and vertical range of the screen of approximately 80%. It also provides highly accurate Face Detection AF, which assists during single-operator shooting. Users can also use the touch panel to move the autofocus target manually.
Face Detection AF - The Face Detection AF feature has two modes - Face Priority AF and Face Only AF - that offer users precise flexibility in how they choose their autofocus for a subject or scene.
4K UHD and Full HD Recording to Dual SD Card Slots
The XF400 Professional Camcorder supports slow and fast motion recording, and can record in a different frame rate from playback for slow and fast motion effects. Slow motion recording of up to 120 fps (x0.2) in Full HD is supported, helping to create an emotionally moving and exciting style of video.
3.5-inch Touch Panel LCD and 0.24-inch Electronic Viewfinder
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features a 3.5-inch Touch Panel LCD and a newly designed 0.24-inch Electronic Viewfinder (EVF). The Touch Panel LCD and EVF both display approximately 1.56 million dots and provide visual recognition of desired features along with a full array of menu options for controlling camcorder settings. The Touch Panel LCD works with Canon's exclusive AF technologies for easy monitoring and one-finger tap-focusing during shooting and the EVF offers 60° of tilt for more comfortable operation in a variety of positions.
- Intuitive Menu Design - The XF400 camcorder features an intuitive menu design for fast and accurate access to desired features. Interactive direct touching and moving from one page to another are also possible by swiping the menu screen.
- Assignable Buttons - The XF400 camcorder features 5 assignable buttons, in addition to touch-assignable buttons on the upper part of the LCD panel. Users can set them to the features they need.
HDMI 2.0 Terminal with 4K UHD 60p Output Support
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features an HDMI 2.0 terminal that supports 4K UHD 60p output. The HDMI 2.0 terminal allows the camcorder to be connected to a standard external SSD/HDD recorder, enabling conversion to ProRes and DNx formats for efficient editing and storage.
Network Connections for FTP Transfer and Browser Remote (Wired and Wi-Fi® Connectivity)
The XF400 Professional Camcorder offers both wired and wireless connectivity to enable recorded files to be shared and transmitted back to the station or home base via FTP for editing or live streaming. The camcorder can also be accessed remotely from a normal web browser running on a laptop or a compatible smart device to control functions such as record start/stop, AF/MF switching, focus/zoom settings and white balance mode. Background transfer of MP4 format video files via FTP links is also possible, enabling the latest recordings to be distributed quickly over the Internet.