Salt Lake City, UT 84101
With over 200+ breakout sessions, get ready to have the ultimate learning experience at Roots Tech 2018! Enjoy various classes geared towards all levels of knowledge & experience, ranging from gathering stories to organization, and even DNA testing. The only challenge will be deciding which to attend!
- DNA - Discover the thrilling possibilities sitting on the horizon of modern DNA testing—and what it could mean for you.
- Tools - You'll feel empowered when you realize how many helpful genealogical tools are at your disposal. Come learn how to use them.
- Photos - Learn the best practices for protecting and preserving your priceless family photos.
- Stories - Modern technology has made collecting meaningful family stories for future generations a cinch—just wait till you see the options!
- Organizing - Overwhelmed by old documents, photos, and stories? Come learn some ingenious ways to organize them.
- Discovery - Any of our discovery sessions will lead you to do just that—discover! Get ready to unlock the door to your family's past.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: MARCH 1, 2018
Brandon Stanton studied at the University of Georgia and worked as a bond trader in Chicago before starting “Humans of New York”—a photography and storytelling blog—in the Summer of 2010. Over the course of seven years, HONY has built a devoted following of over 20 million fans on several social media platforms. He has appeared on Ellen, Good Morning America, Nightline, MSNBC, and CNN, and he has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Los Angeles Times, Huffington Post, Mashable, and dozens of other media venues. He has also been named a "person of the week" on the ABC Evening News with Diane Sawyer, and a Time Magazine “30 Under 30 Who Are Changing the World,” and has photographed President Obama in the Oval Office. He has taken his work to some of the world's most remote and troubled regions, and he has used the storytelling power of his site to raise money for several life-changing altruistic purposes. He is the author of two #1 New York Times bestsellers, Humans of New York (2013) and Humans of New York: Stories (2015) and the children’s book bestseller Little Humans (2014).
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: MARCH 2, 2018
Scott Hamilton is the living example that good guys CAN finish first! He is an Olympic champion, cancer survivor, television broadcaster, motivational speaker, author, husband/father, and eternal optimist! During his figure skating career, Hamilton’s list of achievements include his Olympic gold medal, over 70 titles, awards, and honors. In 1990, Hamilton was inducted into the United States Olympic Hall of Fame, and in that same year he became a member of the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame. Following his mother’s passing from and his own survival of cancer, Hamilton launched the Scott Hamilton CARES Foundation (Cancer Alliance for Research, Education and Survivorship) in 2014, with a mission to improve cancer patient survivorship by supporting world class cancer research and the highest quality patient treatment and care. The same year, he founded the Scott Hamilton Skating Academy, in partnership with the NHL’s Nashville Predators, at Ford Ice Center in Antioch, TN, to offer students programs to help them fall in love with ice skating.
Got a great photo and story you'd like to share? Check out the RootsTech Photo+Story Competition HERE.