The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) just launched a new test—the Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)—that every recreational drone owner must take to legally fly their drone, even if it's under 250g.

So, what is needed to recreationally fly your drone legally? Here are the following steps:

  1. Register your drone under the FAA’s DroneZone if it is over .55lbs
  2. Pass the TRUST test and receive your certificate
  3. Adhere to the safety guidelines on FAA website

Drone flying through the Canyon

Taking the TRUST

The FAA designed the TRUST to provide education for recreational flyers on important safety and regulatory information. To help administer the test, the FAA has selected the following entities as Approved Test Administrators of TRUST (FAA approved TRUST TA):

  • The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA)
  • The Boy Scouts of America
  • Chippewa Valley Technical College
  • Community College of Allegheny County – West Hills
  • Center Drone U
  • Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU)
  • HSU Educational Foundation
  • Lake Area Technical College
  • Pilot Institute
  • Drone Launch Academy LLC
  • Proctorio Incorporated
  • Tactical Aviation
  • CrossFlight Sky Solutions
  • UAV Coach
  • University of Arizona Global Campus
  • Volatus Aerospace Corp

Fortunately, the test is available for free online and can be found from any of the approved test administrators above. The TRUST test is portioned into two sections—the first section is educational while the second section is comprised of a series of multiple-choice questions. If you answer a question incorrectly, the test will inform you of the reason why and prompt you to try again. You must answer each question correctly in order to pass.

After you have passed, flyers must provide proof (the TRUST completion certificate) to the FAA or law enforcement when requested. This certificate can either be kept as a print copy or digital copy. Either way, it will be important to keep on hand whenever flying your drone. If you end up losing your certificate, you will need to re-take the TRUST to receive a new certificate.

Best drone practicesDroneDrone testDronesFaaThe recreational uas safety testTrust

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published