These days it seems like just about everything we do is on the go. We anticipate that websites will be responsive and display correctly on our phones as formatting issues give off an antiquated, cumbersome vibe. We buy cameras equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and expect images and video to seamlessly transfer from one device to another. Yet, one thing we don’t necessarily await is color accuracy on our mobile devices. We’re accustomed to colors being a little off on our iPhones, slightly different on our Android devices, and flat out variable on our tablets. It’s just the way it is, right?
X-Rite has recently introduced ColorTRUE, a color management app that delivers true tablet-to-desktop screen matching (smartphones too!). Allow us to enlighten you.
How does the X-Rite ColorTRUE app work?
The X-Rite ColorTRUE app uses a supported X-Rite measurement device, which measures the color of your iOS or Android device. The custom profile is then automatically applied to your images in the ColorTRUE Image Gallery (which are seamlessly linked to your existing albums, of course). And voila! All images on your mobile devices now display accurate color.
Watch the video on the X-Rite site for a more detailed explanation of the X-Rite ColorTRUE app.
Which mobile devices are compatible with the X-Rite ColorTRUE color management app?
- Apple iOS (all running iOS 7.x or later)
- iPad – iPad 2, 3rd generation, 4th generation, Air, Mini, Mini 2nd generation
- iPhone – 4 , 4s, 5, 5c, 5s
- iPod Touch
- Google Android (all running Android 4.0.4 or later)
- Samsung Galaxy
- Google Nexus
- Asus Transformer running Android 4.0.4 or later
- HTC One
Got it? Ok, since you now know if you have a device that is compatible with the X-Rite ColorTRUE app, let’s break it down even further.
Which X-Rite products act as measurement devices with my mobile device?
Great question, and it depends on which mobile device you’re using.
- Apple iOS devices are supported by the following X-Rite devices:
- Google Android devices are supported by the following X-Rite devices:
Do I need anything else besides my mobile device and compatible X-Rite product?
Yes, you will need an adapter. In order to communicate with one of the X-Rite measurement devices above, you’ll need an USB OTG (on the go) adapter. Therefore, your mobile device must be USB-Host or USB OTG compatible.
What can I expect the X-Rite ColorTRUE app to do for images on my mobile device?
Since X-Rite ColorTRUE is the only mobile calibration app that includes unique color tools to ensure that your images are displayed with consistently accurate color, here’s what you’ll get with the app:
- Before and After – Allows you easily toggle between calibrated and uncalibrated images to see the difference.
- Ambient Light Compensation – Accurately view images no matter which type of lighting you are in.
- Print Simulation – Preview your images with printer profile and rendering intent so there are no surprises.
- ICC Profiling – Easily reassign correct working color spaces (sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB)
- White Point Selection – For optimal tablet-to-desktop match, choose between D65, D50, and Native.
How can I get the X-Rite ColorTRUE app?
Instant Rebates on Select X-Rite Products
Oh, and want to know the best part? You can save up to $40 with the current X-Rite rebates that run until the end of March. All of the compatible X-Rite ColorTRUE app devices (in bold) are on rebate, too!
- $40 Off ColorMunki Photo
- $25 Off i1Display Pro
- $15 Off ColorMunki Display
- $15 Off ColorChecker Passport
- $10 Off ColorMunki Smile
Check out those X-Rite products here, download the X-Rite ColorTRUE app, and start calibrating your images with the "rite" colors!