- Full resolution 20.3-megapixel sensor, plus 80 megapixels high-resolution JPEG /RAW in-camera image.
- Fast 0.04 sec. (approx.) lock focus result *1 from a new LUMIX ultra high-speed AF technology. 60 fps [AFS] electronic shutter or 20 fps [AFC] high-speed burst via mechanical shutter in full-res.
- Massive 3,680K-dot OLED Live View Finder [LVF] with 120 fps refresh rate, 0.83X magnification, and blackout free 100% field of view.
- Dual I.S. 5-Axis 2.0 combines data from a gyro, temp., & image sensors for stabilization performance of 6 stops lower shutter speeds *2 *3, when combined with LUMIX O.I.S. lenses with 2-Axis I.S.
- Dual UHS-II SD Card slots for in-camera backup, relay, or format allocation recording.
- Lighted top mounted Status LCD for at a glance feedback on camera setup.
Massive 80MP RAW Capture
A High-Resolution special mode yields 80-megapixels in RAW recording by shooting the 20.3-megapixel sensor 8 times to create a single image.
Improved Focus Detect & Selective AF
A Joystick Controller on the back can be used to smoothly and intuitively select focus blocks inside the focusing area grid overlay. A new 225-Area AF focus detection area massively increased from 49 (conventional LUMIX G cameras) to 225 points. The Custom Multi AF mode enables free selection of blocks inside the 225 focusing area.
Massive 0.83x OLED Viewfinder
A massive super high-resolution 3,680k-dot OLED Live View Finder (LVF) improves visibility and makes for perfect framing even under direct sunlight. With Panasonic’s highest-level 0.83x magnification to date and a long 21mm eye point distance, its excellent for people who wear glasses.
The viewfinder coverage can be switched to 0.7x, 0.77X, or 0.83x depending on the scene (35mm camera equivalent). Switching is done with the V.MODE button.
When shooting dark scenes like starry skies, this mode suppresses the stimulation of the eyes that are accustomed to the dark. The Live Viewfinder (LVF) and rear monitor can be set separately.
Eliminate Effects of Camera Shake
5-Axis Dual I.S. 2.0 (Image Stabilizer)* intelligent compensation yields the equivalent of 6.5-stops in slower shutter speed***. Shake is nearly eliminated in both body and lens even at during telephoto shooting**. It also works in both photo and video recording, including 4K video. Even lenses not equipped with Optical Image Stabilizers (O.I.S.) can benefit from the LUMIX G9’s in-body image stabilization.
* 5-axis Dual I.S. 2 works when attaching the lens that are compatible with it. Firmware update of the lens is also required. ** Based on the CIPA standard [Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=140mm (35mm film camera equivalent f=280mm), when H-FS14140 is used.] *** Based on the CIPA standard [Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=60mm (35mm film camera equivalent f=120mm), when H-ES12060 is used.]
Large Status LCD
A new status LCD instantly confirms the camera's settings. Convenient for shooting with frequent settings adjustments, and for simply framing with the viewfinder and rear monitor.
Professional Dual SD Card Slots
Equipped with dual SD card slots for larger capacity recording and efficient file arrangement. Relay recording allows for swapping a full card out for an empty card for virtually endless recording. A backup mode allows continuous recording on one card, while starting and stopping recording on the other card. Simultaneous record duplicates recording on both cards.
4K 60p Video & Slow Motion Effects
Outstanding video performance with high-precision, silky smooth 4K 60p recording (QFHD 4K: 3840 x 2160 / MP4). Plus high-speed video recording yields a dramatic slow motion effect in 4K (60 fps max. 2x slower [30p playback]) or Full HD (180 fps max. 6x slower [30p playback]) quality.
Fast Access to Custom Setup
A conveniently located function (Fn) Lever lets you quickly switch between precise custom settings. Great for instantly changing from RAW to JPEG, or shooting while switching between color and monochrome.
With customized AF settings, adjust AF directionality depending on the scene.
Custom Selectable AF Zone
The focus area group size and position is customizable for Multi AF / Custom Multi AF.
AF Point Scope
Enlarges the subject temporarily by 3x to 10x for confirmation of the focusing position.
Bluetooth 4.2 & Wi-Fi® 5GHz Controllable
Panasonic LUMIX Image App supports Bluetooth 4.2 (Low Energy Full-Time Camera Connection) for shutter release and video record Start / Stop, then automatically switches to Wi-Fi 5GHz (IEEE802.11ac) for faster image transferring.
- The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ Logo is a certification mark of Wi-Fi Alliance®.
- The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Panasonic Corporation is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
The shutter unit is durable for approx. 200,000 times release*. Not only does it offer the highest shutter speed at max. 1/8000 to capture fast-moving 'spur-of-the-moment' shots, but you can achieve impressive de-focus effects with fast aperture lenses under bright light.
* Panasonic LUMIX in-house examination.
The LUMIX G9 is built tough to withstand heavy professional use. It is freezeproof down to -10-degrees in addition to splash* / dustproof construction thanks to weather sealing on every joint, dial, and button. A magnesium alloy full diecast armor frame makes the body lightweight yet durable while bringing ruggedness to the compact size.
*Splash Proof is a term used to describe an extra level of protection this camera offers against exposure to a minimal amount of moisture, water or dust. Splash Proof does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected to direct contact with water.
USB Power Supply
USB power supply compatibility. Shoot while connected to the battery charger and eliminate worry about the remaining battery power. A useful feature for nature photography when you need to wait patiently for the shot to happen.
Optional Vertical / Battery Grip
By using two batteries — one in the camera and the other in the grip* — the optional DMW-BGG9 doubles the battery life. Exclusively designed for the LUMIX G9, it perfectly matches its rugged design, yet provides familiar controls and a comfortable grip during vertical shooting *Batteries not included.
FIRMWARE UPDATE 1.1