- 42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- UHD 4K30p Video with HLG & S-Log3 Gammas
- BIONZ X Image Processor & Front-End LSI
- 399-Point AF System & 10 fps Shooting
A New Level of Image Quality
The Sony Alpha A7R III Digital Camera is fully equipped with 42.4MP high-resolution, and back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS image sensor that utilizes a gapless on-chip lens design, with an anti-reflective coating on the surface of the sensor’s glass to dramatically improve the overall light collection efficiency. This results in high sensitivity with a wide dynamic range and low-noise performance.
Sony’s α7R III features a new front-end LSI effectively doubling the readout speed of the image sensor. Compared to the A7R II the newly updated BIONZ X™ processing-engine helps to improve processing speed by approximately 1.8 times. With powerful components working together the camera is allowed to shoot at faster speeds with the impressive ISO range of 100 - 32000 and impressive 15-stop dynamic range while in low sensitivity settings. Overall these incredible capabilities ensure outstanding performance in all shooting conditions and settings.
This full-frame digital camera model is constructed without an optical low pass filter to ultimately maximize resolution. While still having the ability to output 14-bit RAW format, even while shooting in continuous or silent mode. Equipped with an innovative 5-axis optical image stabilization system that supports a high-resolution shooting capacity, and a 5.5 step shutter speed advantage, ultimately performing the world’s highest compensation performance. The new low-vibration shutter decreases overall vibration and image blur in all modes, including the high speed 10 fps shooting. There are also several advancements in color reproductions of skin tones' accuracy.
Inspiring Maximum Creativity
The A7R III introduces a new world of imaging with enhancements in dynamic range, resolution, sensitivity, processing speed, and shooting response. This Sony mirrorless camera increases pro-style operability while in a compact body to give you the flexibility to take amazing shots in any situation. With incredible power, precision, and potential, you are able to capture life's once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
Depicting Scenes in Intimate Detail
Delivering high resolution and low noise, the image processing system has evolved throughout a wider ISO range. With enhanced technology, the A7R III displays the mood of every scene maintaining the texture of details.
- 42.4MP full-frame Exmor R™ CMOS sensor - The Exmor R sensor’s back-illuminated, gapless on-chip lens design increases light sensitivity and provides a wide dynamic range, despite its high resolution of 42.4MP.
- Greatly enhanced image processing - A new front-end LSI and BIONZ X™ boost processing speed and are teamed with the Exmor R™ sensor to deliver up to 15-stop dynamic range at low ISO sensitivity for stills, enabling richer tonal expression.
- Wide standard ISO 100-32000 range - The standard ISO range has been extended to ISO 100-32000 (expandable to ISO 50-102400), and noise has been reduced by as much as a full stop in the mid sensitivity range.
- 14-bit RAW output for rich gradations - 14-bit RAW format output contains rich tonal information from highlights to shadows and is available even when shooting in silent or continuous mode.
Strong, Light, Reliable Design Takes you Further
High-resolution Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder provides natural, high-precision viewfinder image. The functional advantages of an EVF, such as high visibility in darkness and AF capability when using magnified display, is further enhanced for powerful shooting support. For even greater versatility, the α7R III’s small, light body is robust and rigid enough for rugged use.
3.69-million-dot Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder
This high-resolution twice-as-bright electronic viewfinder reproduces fine detail. "Hi" quality mode provides extra-fine views of natural realism on brilliant display.
Seize Moments with Quick Precision
- Up to 10fps continuous shooting - Capture an instant action with continuous shooting of up to 10fps with AF/AE tracking. Huge data of 42.4MP imaging maintains high image quality that is advantageous for your creative trimming.
- Shoot continuously in absolute silence - This camera allows silent shooting at up to 10fps with AF/AE tracking. Silence is critical for shooting wildlife, when even slight noise can mean missing a chance at an ideal shot.
Dramatically Evolved AF Performance
AF performance is improved by inheriting the AF performance used in the α9 and applying it optimally, so once the α7R III captures a wild animal that moves unpredictably, it won’t easily let it go.
- Comprehensive Fast Hybrid AF coverage - 399 phase-detection AF points covering approx. 68% of image area width and height plus 425 densely positioned contrast-detection AF points improve focus that might otherwise be unachievable.
- Up to 2x faster (approx.) AF response - Thanks to much more responsive, enhanced Fast Hybrid AF, AF speed is up to approximately two times faster under dim lighting conditions.
- AF tracking improved by approx. 2x - The AF algorithm inherited from the α9 accounts for two times more preciseAF tracking for continuous shooting, even of complex or sudden movement.
- 4D FOCUS - Conventional autofocus (AF) deals with space alone. 4D FOCUS goes one step further with an innovative image sensor that picks up both space and time to capture moving subjects with new clarity, allowing you to take crisper photos than ever. Plain-old AF is a thing of the past. The future of photography is in motion.
- Reliable AF down to EV-3 brightness - Advanced AF algorithms contribute to high AF precision down to light levels as low as EV-3, for more reliable autofocus in dark scenes.
Never Waste a Moment
- Shoot up to 76 images continuously - Capture up to 76 compressed RAW or JPEG images in a continuous burst. This allows you to confidently concentrate on burst shooting without distraction.
- Dual media slots, UHS-II support - With two media slots, including one that’s UHS-II-compatible for fast data writing, the α7R III can simultaneously or relay record, separate RAW/JPEG data and stills/movies, and copy data between cards.
- Extend shooting to professional length - The α7R III can use a NP-FZ100 battery with approx. 2.2 times as much capacity as a NP-FW50 battery. USB Type-C™ and Multi/Micro USB ports allow connection of external batteries for extended shooting.
- Grouping display for continuous shots - A series of photos shot in continuous mode can be reviewed as groups, play index display is improved, and continuous groups can be deleted or protected at once.
- Rating function - With rating function, you can rate recorded still images from 1 to 5 stars anywhere right on the spot, using the playback screen to perform the function if it is assigned to a custom button.
- My Menu: faster to your favorites - Register up to 30 frequently used items on the new My Menu for instant recall. You can create and customize an optimal menu for your own convenience.
New Portraiture Potential
Eye AF with doubled performance - With the α7R III, Eye AF evolves with two times more immediate, effective eye detection and tracking, even when shooting a moving portrait subject.
Even if face is partially hidden
Even when looking down
Even in dim light
Enhanced Image Stabilization: Freer Shooting
Thanks to enhanced 5-axis in-camera image stabilizer, whenever you want to move and shoot freely, you can rely on the α7R III’s high-resolution performance and mobility, in order to concentrate on the subject without worrying about various types of camera-shake blur.
5-axis optical in-body image stabilization
New stabilization unit/gyro sensors/algorithms effectively raise 5.5 stops. Five types of camera shake — angular shake (pitch/yaw), X/Y shift, and rotational shake (roll) — are compensated.
High Connectivity for Professional Workflow
The α7R III includes USB 3.1 Gen 1 compatible USB Type-C™ port and sync terminals that enable the camera to be connected directly to external devices without delay. These connections make workflow more seamless and stress-free, even for studio shooting that makes use of PC tethered shooting or flash.
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 for fast data transfer - This makes PC tethered shooting available for smooth handling of big RAW image files, so you can quickly review images on a PC and continue shooting without much delay for file transfers.
- Sync terminal available - A standard sync terminal is provided for convenient synchronization with studio flash units and other external lighting equipment.
- New Sony imaging software suite - A new suite of imaging apps provides top-quality RAW development, convenient PC tethering, and efficient viewing/management
- Capture One (for Sony) - Capture One Express (for Sony) is free software for high-quality finishing of RAW data. Capture One Pro (for Sony) can be bought for such compatible functions as local adjustment and PC tethered shooting.
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting
This new Pixel Shift Multi Shooting reproduces still images that contain true-to-life detail, texture, color, and overall atmosphere.
More realistic movies
- High-resolution 4K HDR - In addition to capability to record stunning high-resolution 4K movies through 5K (15MP) oversampling, the camera features a new HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) picture profile, supporting instant HDR workflow, that offers wide dynamic range for highly precise and lifelike movie images without color grading.
- Supporting various needs in HDR production - The α7R III features S-Log for flexible expression of images in post-production and HLG for instantaneous HDR workflow — a combination that fulfills various HDR production requirements.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) for instant HDR workflow - A new HLG picture profile supports instantaneous HDR workflow. Movies recorded in HLG picture mode will appear true-to-life with suppressed blocked shadows or blown highlights, without color grading.
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Image Sensor Type||CMOS|
|Image Sensor Size||35.9 x 24 mm|
|Total Pixels||43.6 MP|
|Effective Pixels||42.4 MP|
|ISO Sensitivity||100 to 32000|
|Extended ISO Sensitivity||50 to 102400|
|Focus Modes||Automatic (A), Continuous-Servo AF (C), Direct Manual Focus (DMF), Manual Focus (M), Single-Servo AF (S)|
|Autofocus Points||Phase Detection: 399|
Contrast Detection: 425
|Autofocus Sensitivity||-2 tp +20 EV|
|Shutter Speed||1/8000 to 30 Seconds|
1/8000 to 1/4 Second in Movie Mode
|Continuous Shooting||Up to 10 fps|
|Self Timer||2/5/10-Second Delay|
|Max Recording Time||29 minutes|
|Monitor Resolution||3,686,400 Dot|
|Monitor Type||Tilting Touchscreen LCD|
|Connect||3.5mm Headphone, 3.5mm Microphone, HDMI D (Micro), USB Type-C (USB 3.0)|
|Battery||One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100|
|Battery Life||Approx. 530 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 650 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||5 x 3.8 x 2.9" / 126.9 x 95.6 x 73.7 mm|
|Weight||1.45 lb / 657 g|
|Operating Environment||32° to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|