In November, Nikon announced the development of the full-frame FX-format Nikon D5, today they officially introduced the camera, as well as their flagship DX model, the D500. Here are a few of the incredible features these two cameras have to offer.
The new D5, a FX-format flagship digital SLR camera that challenges photographers to outperform their highest standards, and set new benchmarks for speed, accuracy and image quality.
From the refined acquisition of subjects in motion, to 4K video in UHD, the D5 creates opportunities for dauntless photographers working in demanding shooting environments to push their gear to new limits. With a next generation AF system the intelligent and versatile tracking of moving subjects enables the richness and realism of every split-second moment to be captured.
The D5 enables the precise capture of subjects under the most demanding conditions with a new-generation 153-point AF system and a stable viewfinder image that makes tracking moving subjects easy, even during high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 12 fps
- Powerful 153-point AF achieves superior subject acquisition performance across a wide range of situations. The center focus point has a detection range beginning at an incredible -4 EV, and detection with other focus points begins at -3 EV, enabling autofocusing even under extremely dim lighting, and with subjects exhibiting very low contrast.
- High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 12fps for up to 200 shots. The D5 is capable of high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 12 fps (w/ AF and AE tracking) in all image quality modes and at all ISO sensitivity settings.
- Exceptional ISO sensitivity-The D5 boasts a wide range of ISO sensitivity up to 102400, expandable to Hi 5 (ISO 3280000 equivalent) — the most expanded sensitivity range in Nikon history
- Cinematic brilliance with 4K UHD (30p) movie capability-
- A high-resolution 3.2-in., approx. 2,359k-dot touch screen LCD monitor
- Versatile image storage options- Two versions of the D5 are available. Both are equipped with double memory card slots supporting a single media type; one XQD cards and one CompactFlash cards.
The new D500, a DX-format digital slr that packs the performance of the new D5 (Nikon's flagship FX-format model) into a smaller, more agile body. It has the same strong 153-point AF system as the D5, high speed shooting at approx. 10fps. It supports 4k UHD movies, has a wide sensitivity range from ISO 100 to 51200, expandable to Hi 5 ( ISO 1640000 equivalent).
The Nikon D500 has a touch-screen, tilting monitor and features SnapBridge support. This new connection makes "snapping" and sharing your photo a simple one-step process. It utilizes an efficient, always on Bluetooth Low Energy connection, which will push photos to your smartphone and other devices wirelessly.
- Powerful 153-point AF achieves superior subject acquisition performance across a wide range of situations
- High-speed continuous shooting at approx. 10 fps for up to 200 shots (14-bit lossless compressed RAW)
- Unique benefits of a compact DX system — added agility in telephoto shooting
- 4K UHD video, suitable for professional productions
- New EXPEED 5 image-processing engine achieves sensitivity up to ISO 51200, expandable to Hi 5 (equivalent to ISO 1640000)
- Touch-screen, tilting 8-cm/3.2-in. high-resolution monitor ensures more comfortable shooting for professionals and advanced amateurs
- SnapBridge support lets you link with a smart device via Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi®